A remarkable 90.00 carat flexible diamond collar necklace consisting of 588 round brilliant cut diamonds prong set in three straight rows and one row of clusters having an estimated total weight of 90.00 carats and approximate color and clarity of F-G VS1-VS2, set in 18kt white gold. Signed and stamped “Marcus & Co” Circa 1950’s.
Shreve, Crump & Low Graduate Gemologist Commentary: The American jewelry firm of Marcus & Co. was established in 1892, when Herman Marcus and his son William opened Marcus & Company at 857 Broadway in New York, Herman Marcus was born and raised in Germany, he had moved to the city in 1850. His knowledge of European trends won him jobs at Ball, Black, and Co. as well as at Tiffany & Co. He was also a partner in the prestigious firm Starr and Marcus before going into business with his son. Marcus & Co. continued to attract a high profile clientele throughout the twentieth century which included John D. Rockefeller. The firm closed for a brief time during World War II and in 1962, it merged with Black, Starr, and Frost.